Music in Morning Shows

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Music in Morning Shows

Post by rogerwimmer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:04 am

Doc: What's up, Doc? Hi, Doctor. Thanks for answering my last request. Once again, a time for other questions.

1. In your research studies have you ever found if there are people who only listen to a station because of its Morning Show? If so, is it too many people?

2. In case this was true, have any of your research studies shown how should the be music that you play in a CHR/Top 40 radio station? Should it be only the hits of the moment? Should you lean to more familiar recurrent songs? Is this a good moment to expose a new song? Or simply you must play the same percentage of new/current/recurrent songs as in the rest of the day? - Maria

Maria: Thanks for writing. I have simple answers to your questions. First, the only way to find out how many listeners tune in only for a radio station’s Morning Show is to a conduct an independent research study to track the listeners. Some studies I have seen show that the number is very small, but there are also other studies that show that the percentage is large.

Second, once again, only an independent research study of the specific radio can provide the information about the type of music a radio station should play in the morning.

I’m sorry I can’t give you more specific information, but the only way to find out your answers is to ask the listeners.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.