Talking Before Stopset

Ask the Research Doctor a question.

Moderators: shawnski, rogerwimmer, jdenver

Forum rules
How do you ask the Research Doctor a question?

Just click on "New Topic" below and then type your question to me. Please put in a Subject and then ask your question in the body.

Your question is submitted annonymously unless you include your name.

Click "Submit" and then check back to find Dr. Wimmer's answer to your question.

If you wish to have a private answer to a question (not posted in the forum), please include your email address. Dr. Wimmer will send your answer directly to you.

Dr. Wimmer maintains an Archive of questions from the forum. Go to http://www.rogerwimmer.com and click on "The Research Doctor Archive" link.
rogerwimmer

Talking Before Stopset

Post by rogerwimmer » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:02 am

Doc: What's up, Doc? My question is straight to the point: among all the research you have done, have you ever asked if, in a musical station, it is convenient for an announcer to speak before going out to a commercial break or if it is preferable that he does not speak and, rather, go directly into the stopset? Thanks in advance for your answer! - Anonymous

Anon: Good question and I have asked it many times. The answer is always the same – there is no ONE way to go to a commercial break. The approach depends on many variables including the station’s format, the announcer’s talent, time of day, type of commercials, and more. In other words, the best approach is the one that best fits the radio station and the specific daypart or program. Do what sounds and fits the best.

(Want to comment on this question? Click on the POSTREPLY button under the question.)
Roger Wimmer is owner of Wimmer Research and senior author of Mass Media Research: An Introduction, 10th Edition.